General information about new landscaping poles
The popularity of landscaping poles is due to the possibility of creating something that looks natural, non-creosote treated, is quick to use, light to handle and soon weathers as though it's been in your garden for years. They can be used for retaining walls, structural supports, shade sails, children's climbing and play areas, tree houses, play houses, picnic benches, inside houses etc..
- There is a wide range of diameter from 50mm - 200mm.
- There is a wide range of lengths from 0.6m - 6.0m.
- The weight of a new landscaping pole will vary enormously between 5kg and 100kg depending on the diameter and length.
- They are very straightforward to cut. You can use a circular saw, chainsaw or even a handsaw.
- We can supply 'half diameter' or 'D' shape new landscaping poles.
What is the difference between a landscaping pole and a telegraph pole?
The most obvious one, is that a telegraph pole is generally tapered, longer in length, wider in diameter & with a choice of treatments. In contrast, a landscaping pole is untapered, with a maximum length of 6.0m, and has a choice of diameter from 50mm - 200mm. So, if you are looking for height, strength & longevity, then telegraph poles would be best, whereas landscaping poles would win when you want regularity, identical dimensions & shorter lengths.
You may know exactly what you are going to build with your landscaping poles. The great wall of China.
The Taj Mahal. A perfect plan written in stone after hours of sleepless nights and youtube visits. However you may be more uncertain and in need of moral and practical support, especially if your nearest and dearest is sowing seeds of doubt, as they question your undeniable abilities to landscape the garden. In this case you need inspiration. A boost to your self esteem that will replace uncertainty with optimism. A visit to our projects section! Thousands of projects and photos that will fill you with confidence and excitement, and cement the guaranteed adoration of your once doubting loved one as you triumphantly complete your landscaping masterpiece. VISIT NOW!!
VOTE OF CONFIDENCE!
Please help us spread the word! If you've found our website helpful or inspiring please leave feedback or 'Like us' on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter. A simple way of letting people know "This is a really useful website!" Thanks
WHAT DELIVERY OPTIONS DO I HAVE?
You have two options, depending on which delivery option you choose at the checkout stage online, or when you telephone the office.
1) STANDARD DELIVERY - CUSTOMER TO OFFLOAD LANDSCAPING POLES
This is normally a quicker & cheaper means of delivery that generally covers 100% of the UK, providing you have a forklift or sufficient strong people to offload your landscaping poles.
* DELIVERY TIMESCALE: You can choose any delivery day you want in advance within 2- 4 working days, Monday - Friday. Delivery will be between 9am & 5pm. You can choose, for a surcharge, a Saturday delivery.
* YOU are responsible for offloading the landscaping poles from the vehicle. The vehicle does NOT have a crane offload. If you do not have a forklift, you MUST have at least 2 or more strong people to manually offload. These timbers are too heavy for one person. The driver is NOT able to help you offload or carry materials into your house or garden. One exception! If the landscaping poles are 1.2m or less in length, the lorry driver CAN place the railway sleepers onto the pavement or road using the lorry tail lift and hand pallet truck.
* ACCESS: You must ensure that there is sufficient space for the lorry to access your road and property, and that there is sufficient area for you to safely offload. The vehicle is normally a rigid lorry which is about 10 metres long and about 2.6m wide (Imagine a full size bin lorry) It is crucial to tell us, when we contact you to arrange delivery, whether there are any delivery problems - e.g. a narrow road, cul de sac, cars parked in front of the property etc... An unsuccessful delivery will incur a further charge, often equal to the original haulage cost.
2) PREMIUM DELIVERY - THE RAILWAY SLEEPERS WILL BE OFFLOADED FOR YOU
This delivery charge is normally more expensive than the Standard delivery, but is essential if you order some heavy landscaping poles, and you haven't got a forklift, or sufficient strong people to help you offload. Having your landscaping poles placed on your drive is a perfect way of protecting your back and keeping your friends happy!
* DELIVERY TIMESCALE is generally within 1- 2 weeks, Monday - Friday, and between 8am & 6pm. Unfortunately you can't normally choose your own delivery day in advance, as the haulier will need to efficiently piece together a set of deliveries, according to which part of the UK they are driving to. Please let us know in advance if there are any delivery days you can't make. We will normally confirm the exact date a few days before.
* ACCESS: You must ensure that there is sufficient space for the lorry to access your road and property, and that there is enough area for the lorry to be safely offloaded. The vehicle is normally a rigid lorry which is about 10 metres long and about 2.6m wide (Imagine a full size bin lorry) It is crucial to tell us, when we contact you to arrange delivery, whether there are any access problems - e.g. a narrow road, cul de sac, cars parked in front of the property etc... An unsuccessful delivery will incur a further charge, often equal to the original haulage cost.
IS THERE A MINIMUM ORDER OF RAILWAY SLEEPERS?
No. It makes no difference. The cost to you is the same whether we deliver 1 landscaping pole or 10 landscaping poles... e.g. if the delivery cost to somewhere in the UK for 20 landscaping poles was for example £99 + Vat, then the delivery for 1 landscaping pole would cost the same. That's because our hauliers charge us according to how much lorry space the order takes up, so whether there is 1 landscaping pole on a pallet, or 20 landscaping poles on it, it makes no difference!
HOW DO WE WORK OUT THE DELIVERY COST?
The delivery charge depends on what type of landscaping pole you choose and where you live. If you go online and place the number of landscaping poles you are interested in into the shopping basket, and input your postcode, the website will calculate the delivery cost according to the number and length of the landscaping poles. If you play around with different lengths of landscaping poles, you will discover that 1.2m ones are the cheapest to have delivered, followed then by any pole up to 2.4m in length, and then finally the longer 2.6m, 3m and 3.6m ones. It's all about what space the landscaping poles take up on a lorry, and what the haulage companies then charge us. Lots of different variables! If you order online, the delivery cost will be worked out automatically by a computer brain. If you order by telephone, the delivery cost will be calculated by a mere human being, who will chat with you whilst working it all out!
EXTRA TREATMENT INFORMATION
TANALITH PRESSURE TREATMENT-THE FACTS
Our new eco friendly treated softwood landscaping poles have been treated with Tanalith, a much more environmentally friendly, 'greener' alternative to creosote, and is suitable for all kinds of landscaping. It is a water based preservative treatment that helps protect against decay and fungal and insect attack.
~ The railway sleepers are treated using vacuum & pressure impregnation.
~ When impregnated into the landscaping poles the chemical components become fixed within the wood structure and are leach resistant.
~ Suitable for use even in the most extreme environments such as marine applications.
~ Usually specified for general construction and ground contact timbers
~ Can be used in residential, commercial and industrial applications
~ Easily painted or stained
It is so far the most environmentally friendly form of pressure treatment available and has replaced the original CCA treatment. It does not contain arsenic or chromium and have a very low potential for human toxicity. An eco treatment will not leak out in the summer, and is particularly suitable for schools, play areas, children, animals, growing food and indoors, where creosote is unsuitable.
For more technical information please have a look at the Tanalith website or contact the technical guys at Tanalith.
HOW LONG DOES IT LAST?
Believe it or not, the treatment companies (and hence us!) offer no guarantee as to the treatment and the longevity of the landscaping poles. They argue that because:
a) timber is used and constructed in so many different applications and settings (above ground, under ground, in water etc...), and because
b) timber naturally splits and moves after treatment, which can expose untreated wood... and because
c) customers cut and drill into the treatment on the timber, leaving bare wood...
- they cannot guarantee or predict how long the landscaping poles will last and how long the treatment will be effective.
SITTING ON THE FENCE
In reality, like many companies, they are frightened about people making claims against them, and so they choose to offer no guarantee, rather than risk someone wanting the whole of their railway sleepers to be replaced after 10 years, if it starts to rot.
Recently we were told of an old traditional timber company that had once rashly offered a lifetime guarantee on their oak fencing. About a year ago an 80 year old lady came into their office brandishing a yellow discoloured receipt from 1959, and stating that several of her fence posts were now rotten! All credit to them, they went out and replaced them!
And the moral is... be careful what you promise!
Although we all know that pressure treated landscaping poles will last considerably longer than 2 days (!) we are unable to say or guarantee how long it will last. Sorry. It's all very unsatisfactory, but it's the way of the world !