Here are a selection of images showing the new Pine railway sleepers we used for our raised beds & planting areas.
Belton Garden Centre
RAILWAY SLEEPERS USED:
New Pine railway sleepers
2400mm x 250mm x 125mm
Why would a garden centres use new railway sleepers for raised beds?
- Because they are relatively cheap, very fast & simple to construct with, (especially compared with a brickwall)
- They are light to handle, easy to cut, easy to drill into
- They create a simple raised boundary against cars and people as well as a 'staged' visual means to display or highlight a planting area.
- They can be placed on top of any surface, including tarmac & concrete.
- They are a good height to plant, weed, feed and water.
- There is no risk of the tar & creosote contamination from some old railway sleepers, and the consequent gooey stuff that sticks on to customer's children.
- What else? oh yes, they look good!
So there you go! Join the railway sleeper fan club!