From bombs to butterflies... Before World War Two Rushcliffe Country Park site was open farmland with hedgerows, arable fields and grassland with a small stream flowing through. However the War Office needed ‘filling factories’ for making bombs and bought the land in 1938. It was an ideal site, close to a railway, a supply of workers and had a water source. The depot was operational until 31 December 1983.
As time passed, nature took over and wildlife returned. A country park was proposed. The lake was dug out and Severn Trent filled it with water. Workers and volunteers planted over 140,000 trees. Rushcliffe Country Park opened on 27 August 1993, looking sparse at first. But over time, it matured and now holds a wide diversity of plants, animals and even a play area and skate park.
RAILWAY SLEEPERS USED:
New British pine eco-friendly railway sleepers
2400mm x 200mm x 100mm
Not only is the park a wonderful wildlife oasis on the outskirts of Nottingham, but also a perfect destination for children with energy to burn. The vast play area has been edged with new pine railway sleepers and is full to the brim with climbing adventures and sandpit fun.